A collage of our skates

A collage of our skates
Can you tell who is whom?

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Obsession...yep

I become obsessed with the things I enjoy doing. For example, I am a huge geek for renaissance festivals; I sew outfits, I have a podcast with two friends, I road trip to as many fests as possible, and I regularly wish I were at a ren fest instead of being in the "real world." That is just how I do things.
Me as a pirate hanging out with mud people. NBD.

But it's not just ren fests. I love putting time into things that make me happy. Derby has brought a wonderful new love to my life. I am obsessed.
I am also obsessed with the middle woman's high-waisted shorts.

I am constantly reading about roller derby--the history of, rules, rule changes, technique, and I regularly stalk and fall in love with new derby girls every day (OMG WTF is pretty amazing btw). I stay up late look at booty shorts, bearings, and outdoor wheels or watching of bouts, speed skating, or workouts for legs and butts. I travel to bouts around the area when I can so I can see other derby girls in action. GOREgon, Ab Fab Eddie, and I (along with Mr. Ab Fab and NSO Celeste) went to see Naptown play. I didn't know it was possible, but my obsession actually grew.
Dora the Destroyer destroys and still looks fabulous. Also, yay!

In fact, as a new skater, this obsession is kind of necessary (though it manifests itself in different ways in different skaters). You have to work to become strong, fast, and agile and there is so much to the culture of derby to learn about to keep one motivated. And contributing to your team beyond playing takes time. Find what you love and learn about it, be the best you can at it, throw yourself in, and just let yourself be obsessed. It's worth it and oh so fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment