A collage of our skates

A collage of our skates
Can you tell who is whom?

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Did you know unicorns are real?

Something really great about any derby team is that it is run by the derby team. Makes sense, right? But wait.

I have a question for you: have you ever wanted to be a unicorn? Okay. Hang on.

This will make sense eventually. I hope.

Anyway, derby teams do everything: raise funds for the team, make fliers, set up the event before bouts (metal folding chairs!), marketing...all while still making time to practice to actually PLAY derby. Did I mention that us derby girls pay to play? We make nothing from this and, in fact, have to pay for equipment and practice space, but we do it because we love it.

Julia Sleazer (a person I do not know, but who seems great!) puts all of this eloquently in her blog It's Late and I'm Tired

But I will attempt to explain the idea somewhat here:

I should clarify my earlier point. It's not just the derby team that does it all: unicorns are the mystical beasts who make derby happen. Our players, fans, former players, supporters, family, and friends all play a part. We couldn't do it without you, unicorns!


Joe Mama--long time Dire Skates supporter and cheese expert

For those of you already doing your part, THANK YOU!

If you feel compelled to become a unicorn, contact us or chat with us at our next bout (December 8th!) and find out how you can help support local derby.

Much love,

Bilbo Stabbins

No comments:

Post a Comment