A collage of our skates

A collage of our skates
Can you tell who is whom?

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Vet Profile: Broad of War

Editor's note: As you may have seen on our Facebook page, Broad has returned to the Dire Skates and we couldn't be more excited to have her back on the track!

Name: Broad of War or you can call me Broad 

Number: 510 

Position: Blocker 

Signature move: Wrecking Ball! 

Tell us about your non-derby self: I have a non-derby self? Pfft, I eat dream and… well let’s just say I’m all about the derby life. 

Why did you join roller derby?: I want to develop a stronger sense of self, make friends, and earn a few well-deserved bruises. 

What is your favorite part of roller derby?: I get to rough up people and not get in trouble. 

What are your roller derby goals?: Building endurance is really important and strengthening my hits so they are destructive! 

What do you hope Dire Skates can do for Richmond?: I hope it can give woman (and men) a place to step out of the norm and be comfortable in their skin knowing they are strong beautiful and a force to be reckoned with. 

What are you skating on right now?: Well my feet--they usually do pretty well, but I like to stick those pups in my Crazy Skates. 

If you could skate anywhere, anytime, where and when would it be and why?: Whenever I’m out rolling around I imagine myself in Cali next to the beach. Maybe during the sunset. Sounds nice don’t ya think? 

If you could have any famous person alive or dead join Dire Skates, who would it be and why? Uhh, I’m not sure it would make a difference as long as they can take a hit. 

Tell us one thing you want us to know about yourself: I’m scared I’m going to get injured and not be able to be a part of derby any more. 

Tell us one thing about another skater: I couldn’t pick just one skater because everyone has a skill that I envy--that’s what makes us a great team. We all come together to create a whole that is stronger together than apart. You have the skaters who their strength is speed; we need them to get our points. We have women whose strength is well, strength- they knock down all the bullies from the other teams and protect us. We all need each other to reach a common goal.

You used skate with the team before; what made you want to come back?: I have always enjoyed competitive sports, but there is something extremely personal about derby that really has pulled me in. It is coming to practice and being tired from the day and still pulling on your gear, lacing up your skates and giving a 110% for your team and yourself. It's watching the improvement you make after dedicating yourself to the hard work it takes to prevail in derby. It's challenging and frustrating at times, but it's totally worth it. That moment you connect with an opposing skater and you knock her down! It's the feeling of personal strength; overcoming your physical fatigue and the pain of the hits and the falls to reach a win--even if the score board doesn't agree, everyone walks away a winner if they have given it everything they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment